Sunday, February 18, 2018

Preparing for Bunion Surgery ~ Second Foot

February 2018


Well, it is time to have my second foot done, which I am having done at the same time of year as last time. I initially wanted to have it done last fall; however, my first foot still felt a bit odd 6 to 8 months after the surgery. One year later, it feels mostly normal. Rushing water against the scars on my skin does not feel as tender as it did a few months ago (it is still tender; just not like it was a few months ago), and I can pretty much walk in any type of shoe now.

Pre-Op visits

Nothing was different in regards to my pre-op doctor visits. The procedure I had last time was listed as Lapidus Bunionectomy Hallux on the billing. Most information I had read about this procedure advocated partial weight-bearing as soon as possible, so I asked my doctor about my need to wear a cast. He said that my situation would be the same as last time. He explained how my bones would be re-aligned in a way that could not risk any pressure or weight on them until they were fused together. He said they prefer to do it the other way [weight-bearing right away]; however, in my situation, putting weight on my foot would not be pushing the bones together.

Photo of diagram in doctor's office

The images I have marked in the attached photo for Hallux Valgus and Kalish Modification of Austin are similar to my situation. I have two screws in my left foot, similar to the ones in the diagram, which I am going to have removed when the bunion is corrected on my right foot. My screws are criss-crossed from front-to-back, and back-to-front, rather than both in the same direction. My doctor told me the screw removal procedure is pretty easy, and that I will be able to stand on that foot right away.


Preparation

The only thing I did differently at home to prepare was more meal preparation, and deep house-cleaning. I prepared 14 meals for the freezer this time, and I had only made about 10 to 12 the first time. I also purchased more convenience sides, like boxed rice mixes and canned vegetables. The deep house-cleaning I did were things that I usually only clean about once a month or two.


Three days before right-foot bunion surgery

Bunion/feet situation

This last photo is a picture of both my feet at the doctor's office a couple of days before my surgery. You can see that the scar I complained about in my other posts is still quite visible on my left foot (you can enlarge photos by clicking on them). In posts #8 and #13, I have expressed my feelings about why I think this scar is more visible than the others. If I have bloody incisions this time when my foot wrapping is removed, I plan to ask pointed questions about cleaning and redressing the wound. The area I have circled is where the two screws are that are going to be removed.

Tomorrow is the day! I will share any new information after my surgery for others researching this procedure.



No comments:

Post a Comment