Wednesday, April 18, 2018

After 2 Weeks Weight-Bearing, 8 Weeks Post-Op

April 2018


Activity

I started walking without crutches or a cane just under two weeks after I started weight-bearing. I sometimes still used the cane first thing in the morning, and later in the day. I had pretty much resumed all of my usual inside activities: housework, walking up and down the stairs, showers (standing on one leg with my other knee supporting my surgical side), carrying things, etc. I had been scrubbing my floors before this; however, week eight was the first time I actually moved the chairs and such to the other room to clean the floor, and then back again.

Outside, I have been mostly walking on only flat surfaces to go shopping, and such. I walked to our pole barn one day, which is down a cement hill about 100+' from the house. In a few days, I am planning to walk outside farther than I have, so far. I will let you know how far I make it!

7 weeks post-op

7 weeks post-op

Pain and swelling

The photos above show the ankle swelling I experienced the first week I started walking. My ankle was extremely sore and tender. The swelling after walking for two weeks stayed about the same, although the ankle pain and tenderness had lessened. 

After I started walking, I had some new pains, which I did not experience with my first surgery. I mostly experienced the following during and after exercises and stretches; however, the pain also interrupted my sleep for brief periods the last few days of week eight. I have pressure, and a ripping feeling along the top of my big toe knuckle and through the top of my foot to where the two screws are located. Sometimes, the pressure on my toe knuckle is so strong, it feels like something is smashing my toe.

Exercises

I am continuing the same toe bends and leg lifts that I did in prior weeks. The only added exercise, is that I am working back into my daily yoga routine.

Scar healing

My scars were still a bit scabbed over seven weeks after surgery, and everything had closed up by eight weeks post-op. The incisions are quite red and thick/bumped up, rather than flat. I have been massaging them daily with Aquaphor. I plan to increase this as my foot and toe becomes less tender.

8 weeks post-op; click on photo to enlarge

The last photo in this blog post shows the surgical shoe and surgical boot I was given. I alternated between wearing these when I was walking at home the first two weeks. Since my ankle was so sore, I thought the boot might give it better support. Although the boot was a burden when I was on crutches, it was not too bad when walking in it. After the two weeks, I am not just wearing the shoe, as my ankle is less tender.

I have two more weeks before my next doctor visit, when I hope I will be graduated to my own shoe!

No comments:

Post a Comment