Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Bunion Hardware Removal and Scraping

October 2018

After my last post in May 2018, my right foot healed pretty much the same as my left had in 2017. The only difference I noticed, is that I had more stiffness in my big toe than I recalled with my left foot, and my foot did not feel like it stepped down correctly/flat on the ground. I am writing this post two days post-op, and this 3rd surgery experience is even more different than my first two. Starting at the beginning...

Pre-op visit September 2018

I have been seeing a different doctor in the office, since my checkup in May when my original doctor had me return to get a second opinion. I am much happier with this doctor. He shows me the X-rays and explains everything, and he is more observant. For example, I had noticed two things after my second surgery, which he discussed with me before I had a chance to bring them up. One, is the way my foot set on the floor, and the second is that the bunion protrusion on my right foot was still pronounced; more so than my left foot after my surgery on that foot. It was kind of like they had not corrected that area as much on my right foot, as they had on my left foot. This is more visible in the photo if you click on it to enlarge it. The problem I have with my big toe pressing against my first toe is that I get blisters between these two toes when I walk or hike a lot.

My feet 2 days before surgery

I do not think I would have gone through a third surgery to have the big toe/bunion area on my right foot further corrected, except that I had decided I wanted to have my screws removed. The top of my foot and the inside where the screws were located only itched off and on, so my thoughts went back and forth about having them taken out. I had already paid my insurance deductible, however, and the process to remove the screws from my left foot had gone well. I had been able to walk on that foot right away. My doctor said things would be pretty much the same this time, and that he could scape the scar tissue and bone area around the bunion at the same time, which would enable me to step my foot down correctly. He said I would leave with a surgical shoe, and could put weight on my foot right away.

Day of surgery at home

Day of surgery

The surgery itself went smoothly, and I was released quickly after the surgery. I remember having pain on the underside of my foot around the bunion area when I first started feeling more alert. My husband said the doctor said he had done quit a bit of scraping around my toe. The aids at the surgical center said I could walk to the restroom when I said I wanted to use it before I left, so I did. I also walked several steps to the car from my wheelchair, and then into the house when we got home. 

Day of surgery
After I got inside at home, I noticed how bloody my dressing was. I also read my discharge papers at this time, and noticed they said "partial weight-bearing." I wondered if the bandage had become bloody from me putting weight on it so soon after the procedure. I took a couple of photos so I would know if the area got worse, and then elevated my foot with an ice pack. I decided not to put any more pressure on my foot, and used crutches for the rest of the day.

Day one and two post-op

I received a call from a nurse at my doctor's office the day following surgery, and we discussed the bloody wrapping. I folded the compression wrapping back from the bandage to get a closer look at how much the bandage was saturated. I provided clear details of the situation, and she said she would talk with the doctor and call me back. When she called back, she said it sounded like it was just seepage that sometimes happens after surgery, and that I did not need to come in. She said if it gets excessive or there is fresh blood to call back. The amount of blood sure looked excessive to me; however, I had already given her details of the amount of blood, so I said okay.

Taken day 2 post-op; looks the same as day 1 when I spoke with nurse 

I continued to use the crutches for another day. Today, two days post-op, I am starting to gently walk on my foot using a cane. I am a bit afraid to do too much because of the blood. The bloodiness worries me because I did not have blood like this after either of my first two surgeries.

Pain and exercise

The pain on the underside of my foot that I had felt right after the surgery went away shortly after I arrived home. Since then, I have had the same type of crushing pain on the top of my foot and inside through to my toe that I felt after my second surgery. I am not taking any prescription pain medication, as I told my doctor the Norco had not worked last time.

I am doing a few knee and ankle bends, although I am a bit reluctant to do too much. I am also afraid to bend my toes much until after the doctor looks at my foot and changes the bloody dressing tomorrow.

The screws that were removed from my right foot

See my next post, after my checkup with the doctor to see what he had to say abut the amount blood on my bandage. Let me know if you have any questions.




No comments:

Post a Comment