Thursday, March 2, 2017

#3 ~ The Day of Surgery

February 2017


At home in the morning

We needed to be at the surgery center at 6:30 a.m. My instructions said to wash the foot I would be having surgery on with anti-bacterial soap for 5 minutes. My body was also supposed to be free of all nail polish, jewelry, and any lotions or scents; including deodorant. I took a shower that morning, and then did not apply any lotions. I used my usual shampoo and conditioners on my hair, which did not cause any issues at the surgery center.

Since I would not be able to get jeans or similar pants over my leg after surgery, I opted to wear a calf-length sweater dress, which easily slipped over my head. And remember, I could not consume anything - not even water. I had been specifically told to spit out any toothpaste, and not to swallow any water, if I brushed my teeth. Which, of course, I did! Along with mouthwash, too...

Prep for surgery

At the surgical center, we went through the basic admitting process: insurance info, questions about my identity and what I was there for, confirmation of any allergies and medications, and so forth. I was in the operating room with my two physicians and assistants before 7:30 a.m. 

The surgery

My doctor had told me the experience would be similar to a colonoscopy (in terms of what I would remember and how I would feel), and it was. The last thing I remembered was the odd smell of the oxygen tube inserted in my nostrils, and my next memory was on the way to the recovery room. When I had arrived in the operating room, I remembered moving from the wheeled transport bed to the operating bed; however, I did not recall moving back to the wheeled bed. The actual surgery took less than 1½ hours. My condition had not been quite as bad as the doctors anticipated. I had two screws put in my foot, and there had been the possibility that I might end up with more than that.

Post surgery, before release

I drink a lot of water, so I knew I would be thirsty after surgery, and I remembered that after I had given birth, I experienced the most thirst ever in my life. I must have communicated my preferences to one of the nurses, because as soon as I got to the recovery room, I received a full glass of water exactly the way I like it: cool water, and no ice. When I wanted a refill, my nurse said I had told her I am not a guzzler (I must have started talking before my memory restarted!). I am not a guzzler; however, I did pretty much take continual sips of the water until it was empty, which was rather quickly. Apparently, a lot of people get nauseous and vomit in situations like this, because there are always precautions about consuming even water, before and after procedures. Going back again to when I had been in labor years ago (which had been longer than a couple of hours), I recalled that I had wanted something to drink then, and the only thing I could get were ice chips, which I had to fight for. 

The nurse at the surgical center reluctantly gave me a second glass of water, as she cautioned me I would probably get sick on the way home. Actually, she pretty much told me I would get sick on the way home. I ended up only drinking a little more than half of the second glass, because I listened to her. I can count the number of times I have vomited or felt nauseous in my lifetime on one hand, and this day was not one of them. I did not feel even a minor twinge of an upset stomach at any time this day. The nurse had also offered me something to eat, like crackers. 

I was a bit foggy during recovery, and it felt to me as though we were on the road within 15 minutes after the surgery. In reality it was a bit longer, although still very quick. I was released within a half hour after surgery. You will need to have someone drive you home after surgery, as well as stay with you the first 24-hours.

My foot/leg on surgery day

Remainder of first day at home

Post-surgery instructions were: ice and elevate foot, take [Norco] medication as needed, rest, and exercise leg for 5 minutes every hour (leg lifts, knee bends, ankle rotations). I could also eat, if I felt hungry, which I did.

I took my first prescription Norco pill a couple of hours after I arrived home. I was diligent about the ice and exercise to begin with. The icing schedule was 20 minutes on, 20 minutes off, which seemed a bit extreme after a few hours. I gradually graduated to 30/30 and then 45/45. Later, I learned that the effect of ice to reduce swelling does not work after the 20 minutes time. In fact, I read that the ice effects can be reversed, if the ice pack is left on longer than suggested. After I read that, I did not keep the ice on longer than 20 minutes. I reapplied the ice pack every 20 to 45 minutes. I did the exercises I could do for 5 minutes every hour most times, although a few times were a bit longer in between. I could not do ankle rotations, as my ankle did not rotate inside of the snug wrapping.

I did not have much pain the first day. If you are familiar with health care professionals asking you to rate your pain on a scale of 1 - 10, I would say my pain the first day was about 6 while taking the pain medication. Most of my discomfort came later from the swelling, which I will talk more about in my next post:

The first week



No comments:

Post a Comment