Wednesday, March 1, 2017

#1 ~ The Decision

Fall 2016


Is bunion surgery right for you? Why I decided to do it ~

My previous physician had always advised me not to have bunion surgery. She said that it is very painful, and that if I was not having problems, I should just live with it. I have always thought the bunions were unsightly, although my husband assured me they did not bother him any. So, I lived with them for several years.

A few years ago, my doctor transferred to a different area of medicine, and I had to find a new physician. The doctor I started seeing then had a different opinion. She said that if I was going to need surgery eventually, I would be better off to have it now, while I am healthy and active, because the healing process would be quicker than when I am older. I thought about this, as I discussed it with her a bit more, and then I asked her for a referral. 

My situation was that the bunions themselves were not painful; however, I did have other problems: difficulty finding shoes that fit over or around the bunions, and the bunion made my big toe crooked, pushing it into my other toes. This caused me to get blisters between and under my toes when I walked a lot.

Right foot situation was not as bad as the left foot

My visit with the podiatrist

I did a lot of research online before I met with the foot doctor, and I had pretty much decided I wanted to have the surgery before my first visit. My doctor did not provide much more information than I had found online, and I did not learn until after the surgery had been scheduled that my surgery needed two physicians. 

My biggest concern

The fact that I needed two physicians to perform the surgery did not scare me. My biggest concern was about the screws that would be in my body afterward. I am allergic to metals on my skin, and since I did not have any metal inside of me before this surgery, I did not know if this is just a skin condition, or if I would also react to metal inside my body.

My doctor told me they do not usually remove the screws, although they could easily be removed, if I had trouble with them. The second doctor opted to use titanium screws, because most people with metal allergies do not have trouble with titanium. I knew from experience that my skin reacts to titanium, also. My eye doctor had suggested titanium frames for my eyeglasses many years ago, because my skin would break out where the frame hit the sides of my face on both sides. I paid extra for 100% titanium frames (no vision insurance), and I still got the rash. I now wear all plastic frames. I did not mention the titanium incident to the second doctor, as I had already told the first doctor, and I knew there was not another option. I expect I will want the screws removed from my body after my foot is totally healed anyway. My plan is to ask about this when surgery for my right foot is scheduled.

I will update this blog with information throughout my journey. Please let me know if you have any questions or personal experiences you would like to share.


No comments:

Post a Comment