Wednesday, March 8, 2017

#5 ~ Week Two, Second Checkup, Stitches Removed, New Cast

March 2017


Pain and swelling

My foot pain was minimal the second week. Sure, I could feel discomfort on the top of my foot where the stitches were, and I am sure it would be painful, if my foot got bumped; however, I did not experience continual or severe pain. It was mildly painful when I wiggled my toes, which I had a difficult time with. Just like the first week, most of my discomfort came from the wrapping around my leg and foot. It felt like my toes were all scrunched together, especially my pinky toe. This contributed to me being unable to wiggle them much. The gauze between my big toe and first toe was extremely uncomfortable, as was the wrapping over the top of my big toe around the knuckle area. It felt like my ankle was still swollen at times, causing discomfort in this area. I could not wait for my second checkup to have the wrapping removed! The firm backing/support behind my leg was too tall for me, and I planned to ask the doctor to cut this down, if my leg was going to be wrapped the same way. I continued using an ice pack under my knee for a few days, which felt like it helped the swelling initially. It did not feel like this was helping after a few days, so I did not continue to use it regularly. Instead, I raised my leg higher or did leg exercises to help reduce the swelling and discomfort.

Activity

I continued with yoga daily, and I did the leg exercises about 5 or 6 times a day. Since I was moving around more, I did not do the leg lifts and bends as frequently as I had the first week when I was more inactive than active. I thought (or, hoped!) maybe my belly would become rock hard from the leg lifts and bends everyday. I did them for 5+ minutes each time; about 50 leg lefts and bends on each leg each time, and I did not see any evidence of this yet. I did, however, feel as though my leg strength was increasing.

We went out to dinner the second week. I am sure my husband wanted a break from all the dinner prep and cleanup! 😉 I did not have too much difficulty getting around with my crutches, and sitting in the restaurant was comfortable enough. I thought one of the most difficult actions was going up and down steps - Not the carpeted stairs to our basement that I schooched up and down, but the two cement steps from the porch in front of our house, and the restaurant steps with no railings. I had to be strong enough and stable enough to hop up and down each step, and then move the crutches. The drive/ride was just over a half hour one-way.


Closeup of knee walker

Moving around at home

I continued to alternate between using the walker and crutches, depending what I was going to do when up. The walker is designed so that it can be used sideways locked in position to do things at the counter. Unfortunately, the designers thought having their name on the cushion was more important than their customers' comfort. Every time I used the walker sideways, I ended up with the name imprinted on my knee. I thought the crutches were easier to use, as long as I did not need my hands free to carry or do something. The walker was more time consuming to navigate around corners, and in reverse or when needing to turn around. Plus, remember it did not fit me properly, so I had to stand on my toes!

Imprint on my knee from walker
I went down and up the stairs again once during the second week, and I continued the minimal housework I had done the first week. I also washed the tub (this was tricky, and not as good a job as usual), and I made homemade sourdough bread! I thought it was more difficult to clean up the mess than it was to make the bread. I keep sourdough starter in the fridge, and make bread nearly every week. There is more information about that in my Healthy Eating blog, if you are interested. I wanted to do more around the house; however, I decided to wait until after my second doctor's visit.

I did not sleep as much the second week as I had the first week, although I did still sleep a bit more than usual. I was surprised how much energy it took to do anything. Small tasks like shampooing my hair and bathing took a lot more energy and time than usual. Amazing, how I took for granted the easy task and quick time of in and out of the shower each day before I had this surgery. There were many little things I never thought about before I was in this situation with only one leg: when I needed an ingredient too high in the cupboard to reach, or in the cupboard behind me that I could not step over to without the walker or crutches, wanting to put something in the trash behind me or across the room, getting dishes in or out of the dishwasher, and on and on. There were many times when I wanted to put my foot on the floor for one step to reach something just a couple of feet away from me. Since all of my instructions said "non-weight bearing," and my doctor had said not to put any weight on my foot, I did not.

I definitely agree with my primary physician who had recommended I have the surgery now, while I am in good health. I felt like it took a lot of balance and strength to move around to do normal activities in the home. I imagine my balance and strength will not be as good when I am 70 years of age, as it is now.

Second checkup, stitches removed, new cast

My second checkup was 15 days after the surgery. It had initially been scheduled for the 14th day; however, someone called from my doctor's office to change the date. I did not have X-rays taken this visit. The aide removed my bandage and snipped the stitches before the doctor came in. It was a huge relief to have my leg unwrapped, so I could rotate my ankle and wiggle my toes. It was painful when she removed the bandage, and when she snipped the stitches. The bandage was dried and stuck firmly on my skin. My ankle was a bit swollen, although it was nothing like it had been during my first checkup.

At doctor's office after wrapping was removed,
and stitches had been snipped
The doctor said everything looked good. When he talked about the cast, I asked if it was going to be shorter than the wrapping had been, and he said yes. I had no idea I would need to choose a color for my cast! The aide told me they have every color except yellow. After I requested a brown/tan-type color, she said they did not have that either.

So, I chose purple!
I needed to have my ankle at a sharp 90° angle as the doctor applied the wrapping. I did not like the feeling of this after the cast hardened. It felt tight and confined around my ankle, and the position did not feel natural. My ankle actually felt claustrophobic the first day. The next morning, I was a bit more used to the wrapping, although I still did not like the feeling around my ankle. I was happy my toes were exposed so I could wiggle and move them. My pinky toe was pushing into the toe next to it from the too-tight wrapping that had just been removed, and it had not looked like that before. I figured that would go away now that they were out, and I could bend and wiggle them.

Next post: Life with the cast on after week 2 ~ still non-weight bearing


Let me know if you have any questions!


No comments:

Post a Comment